Emergency HOA Meeting: Options for Water System
Saturday July 8th, 2023
Board members present: Constantino, Custead, Davis, Miller, Partridge, Smith, Stopford,
Residents in Attendance: Barb Reese, Dave Lyons, Bill Killinger, Joan Montgomery, Dave
Czorapinski, Ruth Waters, Pat Constantino, Patty Dukes, Matt Taylor
Call to order: 9:30 am Lynne Partridge, Chair
Announcement: The purpose of this meeting is to focus on the current water system and
OPTIONS we need to consider. Other items for discussion will be reserved for the next
scheduled Board meeting in August.
I. Current Well
A. Status - Water is clearing up, no need to drain the tank, waiting on tests from
Sharpe to lift boil water ban, Sharpe will officially test today to lift ban.
B. Multiple points of pressure, could fail at any moment, reports that compressor is
not functioning properly
C. Drain - Atlantic Plumbing could not jett line because it was clogged by phragmite
growth, need to clear area. Will call Roto-Rooter.
II. Discussion: Options to Repair/Replace Current Water System (see Bill’s
A. Repair existing 150 foot well and pump house. Current well will be 40 years old in
2024. Pump house needs extensive repairs; deplorable condition may contribute
to failing of equipment. Minimal upgrades (install bladder tanks, upgrade control
panel, replace water softeners and brine tanks, new drain line) for a cost of
around $60,000 may get us through the projected two years before acquiring
County water. Pros and cons were discussed along with a possible funding by
EPA WINN grant
B. Replace the old well with a new well in a new location with ultimate upgrades
(second well, new house, generator backup, new control panel with alarms, new
tanks, new air compressor and dehumidifier) for a cost of around $150,000
Pros/cons and possible funding were discussed.
C. Keith Miller will get a second bid on these prices from another Delmarva Water
Company and pursue the possibility of banking loans for these repairs.
III. County Water
A. History: The HOA requested the County begin the process of exploring the
option of County water in 2016 with a majority (65%) of homeowners approval to
move forward on the project. This was not a commitment to County water but
for gathering information about cost/ fees/accessibility etc. The PER (Preliminary
Engineering Report) was completed in 2021 with four options. In April 2022 the
County was offering one option–a line from Beauchamp Road down St Martin’s
Parkway. In April 2023 the HOA received a grant for $1 million with the
guestimated cost of County water being around $2.5 million. Bill Custead sent
Bob Mitchell (who we have been working with since 2016) several questions. As
of July 2023 those questions have not been answered. Bill Custead estimates
that it will be approximately 2 years after the low bidder is selected before we
would connect to County water.
B. Options according to Bill Custead:
1. Explore loan options
2. What will be the fees/household for both the County system and the
ultimate upgrade of our own system?
3. Can we do a Master Meter and use the County system as an option?
4. Can we redo our private well with grant money?
5. Can we get an EPA WINN grant?
C. Plan to have County answer these questions in the next few weeks. We will then
decide which avenue to pursue and present this information to the homeowners.
D. Joan Montgomery questioned if legal input was needed. Ruth Waters suggested
(based on talking with Mary Beth Carrozza) that we pursue political resources
mainly Madison Bunting our 6th District Representative.
IV. Phragmite at Town house A.
A. Lynne spoke with Dave Bradford from Worcester County who recommended
hiring a company to manage phragmite. Owners may remove phragmite only but
mowing down but this will only result in rapid regrowth now, should be done in the
Fall. Similar to discussions held during Architectural meetings. Now has
implications for Well drainage.
Meeting Adjourned: 10:49